Environmental

In addition to providing the world with food, fiber, and renewable fuel, our country’s farmers and ranchers conserve and protect natural resources for future generations.

  • Advances in crop production technology have led to higher yields, higher quality protection techniques, and more efficiency with respect to how many people can be fed for every acre of farmland utilized.  According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), 1 percent of the population provides food, fiber, and fuel for the other 99 percent that reside off-farm.
  • Crop protection products increase crop productivity by 20-50 percent.  Increased yields mean affordable food.  U.S. consumers spend less than 10 percent of their income on food, compared to consumers in countries such as France and India, whose costs are between 13-35 percent of their income.
  • With the help of crop protection, farmers dramatically reduce their national energy use, are able to provide 18 percent of the world’s food supply on only 10 percent of the world’s farmland, and increase agricultural productivity by up to 50 percent.
  • With the use of agricultural herbicides, crop yields are increased by 20 percent more, and growers are able to manage weeks without added tillage, reducing erosion from tillage by up to 90 percent.
  • Modern seed protection systems are highly computerized and designed to make constant adjustments for greater accuracy.  This technology dramatically reduces the amount of product needed to grow healthier crops.
  • Innovative crop protection tools allow U.S. farmers to provide 18 percent of the world’s food supply on only 10 percent of the world’s farmland.
  • Thanks to ever-evolving scientific advancements in the development of crop protection products, modern farmers produce twice as much food as just two decades ago, while using less water, land, and energy.
  • Intensive scientific research and robust investment in modern agriculture during the last 50 years has helped farmers double food production while essentially freezing the footprint of total cultivated farmland.

Subscribe to our mailing list

×